- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut in strips
- 1 1/2 cups fine cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay™
- 1 quart vegetable oil for deep frying
- Add all ingredients to list
- Prep 20 m
- Cook 10 m
- Ready In 30 m
- In a small bowl, mix buttermilk, water, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture into a flat pan large enough to hold the fillets. Spread fish in one layer over bottom of pan, turning to coat each side, and set aside to marinate.
- In a 2 gallon resealable plastic bag, combine the cornmeal, flour, and seafood seasoning. Add fish to mixture, a few fillets at a time, and tumble gently to coat evenly.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- Deep fry fillets until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Avoid overcrowding so fillets have room to brown properly. Fish should be slightly crisp outside, and moist and flaky inside. Drain on paper towels.
- Editor’s Note
- The nutritional analysis for this recipe reflects an estimated 10% of the oil for frying as well as the full amount of the coating and breading. Therefore, the values represented may not be accurate.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 1427 calories; 78.6 g fat; 131.6 g carbohydrates; 45.7 g protein;145 mg cholesterol; 800 mg sodium.
All credit for this delicious recipe goes to All Recipes. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/140930/southern-fried-catfish/